Friday, November 24, 2006

Learning As We Go Along

I've just learnt how to upload pictures. Didn't realise there's a picture insert button on the control panel above the post editing page.

Most times, we tend to see only what we want to. I did not intend to upload pictures until recently, to add some 'colour' to my otherwise 'plain' text.

Billistone (1986) who wrote Power of Symbols contrasted the symbolic to the literal and the describing the latter as 'plain'. So , I thought that since I've used 'codes' in a manner similar to symbols, I could add on to my 'literal' texts and use photos.

These photos are of the museum's gallery before and after it was open for use. This gallery has been designated for temporary exhibitions. Anyway, the second photo shows my exhibition on the research I did for my thesis.

I managed to put up an exhibition based on an incomplete thesis. I tend to wonder what I'll be able to do with a complete one-- get it published perhaps!

Again, people only see what they are aware of seeing or know what to see. When I began working on my exhibition, skeptics abound... "How can you do it? You've not completed your thesis?...Are you sure?"

But I was sure; and sure enough I managed to put up the exhibition with "half a cup full". Others see my work as "half a cup empty". It also shows that despite my 'conditions', we can do things...

That's how I' ve been seeing my condition- as "half a cup full" and that I'm halfway there and have lots of potential to fill the cup. Sometimes, filling the cup halfway is tough enough when there's lost of panic to deal with, and the constant work to keep it that way... 'panic at bay'.

So, to the rest of the world out there, give us a break... every effort we make to fill the cup and do something beyond maintaining our stability is more work than a 'normal' person would need to do.

We are 'NORMAL' but in a different sort of way. What we need to do is to tap into what's left of our old self and build on what we've gained from the experience.

For me, it's the creative juices that flowed when I'm in a high state of anxiety; and the assurance that I still have my intellectual capacity and drive to do what I have done, again! What's yours?

No comments: