Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What makes a man?

Some say, it takes money (the right amount) in order to make a man... to make a man who could rule and govern a nation to success. But what will be in that man, whose value is based on money which is arbitrary, virtual and highly dependent on how we perceive its value.

A friend once tore a currency note in front of me. I wondered, that money could buy me lunch. He says the note when torn into pieces had no value for its torn pieces unless they are attached together. Next, he showed me a piece of gold coin. He says that if he were to do the same to the coin, i.e. break it into pieces, each broken piece will continue to have its value. In that 'magic' show, he expressed the need to revert back to gold and silver forms of money so that the poor will not be affected by currency fluctuations and all their earnings will be worth their weight in gold.

From that anecdote I recall my mom's practice of buying gold bracelets which she will wear on the forearm. When the family income is good, she will have two rows of it on her left and right arms. When the family economy took a dive, she would pawnt he bracelets or sell them for cash. People like her resisted the financial markets in their own way. In the event of a crisis in which the value of currencies can take a nose dive, she still have her gold to make ends meet.

I should start investing in gold now... and if our leaders are worth their weight in gold, I wonder... What makes a man?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What makes a man? For each his own lah... But to me, a man treats his family and friends right, and he is a socially-responsible person. Vague enough?