Thursday, March 08, 2007

Arrogance or Confidence?

I shared with some students about my experience with panic disorder and spending time at the hospital. One of them shared that she had gone through an episode of depression and was cutting herself. She confidently asserted that she had managed to get herself out of depression and felt stronger from the experience.

I could sense some degree of arrogance within her 'shield' of confidence. I began to wonder if I had exude the same sense of pride and achievement in overcoming my depression and panic disorder- and probably the same arrogance.

It was that arrogance that could have compelled me to demonstrate the proper way of passing the ball during rugby training. Since a few weeks ago, I had been assisting with the set-up of the first ever rugby team in a school.

I wonder if its the arrogance and over-confidence which caused me to attempt to run and caused tremendous pain in my feet, ankle, calf, knee and thighs. Or was it the impetus to lead by example that compelled me to show rather than tell the boys how to pass the ball... either way I'm more aware now of the limitations that I really have....

While attempting to catch the ball while running, I tripped... my instinct was to continue running to prevent the fall, but my ankle locked itself, thereby not allowing me to slowly break the fall.... I caught the ball but fell forward... it hurt termendously and I'm not sure if I can join the badminton game tomorrow...

I tried playing badminton with my daughter and it went well...

1 comment:

Blueheeler - the hound who sniffs out fishy news said...

and you played well too, last Friday....!