Monday, March 19, 2007

Overcome The Pain, Moving On


I strained my heel during last Friday's game of badminton. It hurt over the weekend.

It slipped my mind to take jamu as preventive measure. I finally took my dose of jamu on Saturday and Sunday. The heel felt better today, but hurt when I attempted to add pressure to my feet.

As I had to spend whatever available time I have now for gym workouts and swims, I pushed myself to walk to the gym. Walking to the gym saves me transport cost and presents itself as a good warm-up so that I can immediately hit the routine when I arrived at the gym.

The walk was painful, but I had to push beyond the pain barrier so that other parts of my feet will not be overstrained as my body activates its compensation mechanism. As I walked on as per normal, the pain in the heel begin to subside and I gained strength from each full step I took without compensation to my overstrained heel.

Overcoming the initial pain allowed me to move on... in the similar manner that I've overcome the initial cold starts that had prevented me from getting out of bed and mellowing in the doldrums of depression and the high-strung jitters of anxiety.

This experience brings forth the question of "What is Pain?" Is it a warning, an inhibition or a precaution? To each situation, its own, and the power of the mind can make a difference. Is it fighting spirit that made me constantly push the barrier or has it been pure stupidity? It's a thin line, but what the heck... no pain no gain!

No comments: