Friday, June 01, 2007

3 Strikes and You Are OUT!!????... huh???

I have had three major blows recently.

The first questioned my capacity to be part of an elite service.

The second questioned my years of service to the community.

The third questioned my insights, analysis and research capacities relevant to the academic field.

If this was a game, I have had three strikes and I should be OUT. Thankfully, that's not the case.

I have wrote in my previous entries about my need to re-assess my benchmarks. I will be doing so.

Frankly, I'm glad that I have these setbacks. The fact that I have not cracked despite these setbacks showed that I'm on track- I'm not OUT.

It's heartening to hear further encouragements from friends. Their stances may differ but I guess their objectives are clear. I hope to re-assure these good friends of mine that I am not disturbed by these setbacks. It only spurns me to be much better than anything else.

Then, I began thinking about my darling wife's reminder to me- "You can't be good in everything." I see lots of sense in those words.

I will be taking a back-seat for a while and build on things that I truly believe in and see value in its growth. I've learnt that accolades (including academic certification) need not be a motivation for inspiration, innovation and compassion. I will simply rely on my intuition, resolve and tenacity...

No comments: